Friends of Erskineville 2019 Wrap Up
2019 was a big year of activity for the Friends of Erskineville (FoE). We continued to advocate successfully for the community, organising and participating in local events, keeping supporters informed and growing our membership.
– State and federal election candidates forums with Alexandria Residents Action Group
– Community forum with Prof David Levinson on transport, station entrances and walkability
– Community inspection with 60 people on proposed Macdonald St upgrade that was attended by City of Sydney Councillor Jess Miller and other staff. FoE’s submission for an extra pedestrian crossing at the end of Eve St was agreed to.
– Community forum on apartment building standards with state MPs David Shoebridge, John Graham and Councillor Linda Scott
FoE also represented the community and increased capacity through activities such as government submissions and supporting community events:
– Made submissions on a number of government public exhibitions including the inquiry on building quality
– Held stalls at Alexandria Sunday Funday and Erskineville Public School fete ‘Erko Berzerko’
– Had a win with our “Lift Erko” campaign – in March the Transport Minister announced it will install lifts at Erskineville station
– Supported ‘Clean Up Erko’ day that was led by community member Roger Barker
– Advocated with council to install a new bubbler next to Erskineville station (completed) and improve access to council venues for community groups. Council is now also looking at installing projectors at suitable venues
– Supported the Better Planning Network, Sydenham to Bankstown Alliance, Fix NSW and other groups
– Supported council efforts to limit traffic impacts of WestCONnex
– Supported improvements to our double-deck train network instead of the dubious private ‘Metro’ that would see Erskineville taken off the T3 Bankstown line
– Sent regular community communications: 281 facebook posts, 28 tweets, 12 email blasts and 5 youtube videos
– Wrote articles for South Sydney Herald
– Hosted monthly meetings on the 2nd Tuesday of every month
– Continued our One Vote One Value petition to repeal the undemocratic City of Sydney Amendment (Elections) Bill 2014 which gives double votes to businesses
– Started a new written petition calling for a southern entrance to Erskineville Station
Got something to say?