2023-24 new member drive
Would you like to become a full member of the Friends of Erskineville? Annual memberships start on 1 July each year and the standard rate for individuals is $20.
If you are one of our email list subscribers or follow us on Facebook or Twitter but haven’t yet become a member, we’d love to have your extra support.
All membership fees go toward our community building work, campaigns and advocacy, including printing flyers, hosting stalls and public meetings and website costs. Membership also entitles you to vote at meetings and nominate for the committee. Payment is via Paypal (which includes credit card) or by direct bank transfer into our account.
You can join or renew your membership here.
Over the last year we:
– Hosted a state election Newtown candidates forum, including polling residents to ensure your top issues were covered.
– Won our campaign to abolish ‘double votes for business‘ in the City of Sydney council election, with legislation passing NSW parliament in Sept 2023.
– Petitioned the Woolworths CEO to back down on the conversion of the Alexandria supermarket to a Metro, generating significant media interest.
– Provided support to Hands off Glebe and Action for Public Housing in campaigns to defend and extend public housing. We have formed a sub-group to work with residents at Explorer St to stop demolition.
– Had a victory against unwanted advertising billboards.
– Our campaigns for improvements in active transport are seeing continued success. We also made a submission on the local traffic study aimed at calming traffic.
– Hosted a public meeting on the North Eveleigh development proposal and another to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the opening of Green Bans Park.
– Held stalls at Erko Berzerko and Alexandria Sunday Funday.
– Met regularly with the Lord Mayor’s office to advocate for local improvements, including asking for greater support for apartment buildings to transition away from gas hot water.
– Maintained memberships with the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre, Shelter NSW and Better Planning Network.
– Kept the community informed via regular updates on email, facebook and twitter.
We look forward to you joining or renewing your membership. If you have just recently renewed, thank you for your support. Together we can make a really positive contribution to Erskineville.
The Friends of Erskineville committee
- S Prev